Manually Update to Skype for Business
So, Skype for Business was released on April 14, 2015 and you still don’t see it. Here’s a quick run down on how to manually update your Office applications from Office 365 to get this update. There are two ways to get the Skype for Business update which depends on your individual subscription to Office 365. The first way is for those who get Office 2013 as a download from the Office 365 subscription. The second way is for those who do not get Office as part of the subscription.
Follow these instructions if you get Office 2013 as part of your subscription to Office 365.
- Close all Office documents
- Close all Internet Explorer Browser sessions
- Sign out of and close Lync
- The update to Skype for Business will prompt you and it will close these if they are still open or connected during the installation
- Now, open Word and open a blank new document – I know, you just closed it, but that was to close and save any open document that was open
- Go to File | Account | Update Options – button is located on right side under the Office logo | Update Now
- You’ll see that an update is available and starts to download if your account is ready
- Again, the installer will prompt you to close or you can tell it to close any dependent applications still open
- Once the installation completes, go to your Applications menu/Start Screen and find the newly updated “Skype for Business”
Follow these instructions if you do NOT get Office 2013 as part of your subscription to Office 365.
- Open your favorite browser and login to https://portal.office.com
- Click on the “cogwheel” in the top right of the screen, this will be near your name and picture if you’ve uploaded one
- From the menu the drops down, select Office 365 Settings
- Select Software on the left navigation bar
- Then, click Skype for Business on the left
- You should now see a link on the right to download the Skype for Business client
Microsoft is always pushing the bar higher and higher with new updates. Stay informed of these updates by joining our Weekly Digest email to stay ahead of the curve and your competition.
Contact us about Skype for Business. We can help you with learning, training, or if you just want to be updated on the latest Microsoft feature releases.